for Best Journalism
from a conflict zone
Applications are accepted in any language from any country. This includes works by freelancers, alternative media, and independent journalism platforms.
BEST JOURNALISM FROM A CONFLICT ZONE
Works must have been filmed in or written while reporting from a conflict zone.
BEST HUMANITARIAN JOURNALISM
Objective reporting of humanitarian crises after or while ongoing the conflict. Stories are expected to seek to feature the entire spectrum of experience of communities, intimate and universal alike: challenges and aspirations, trauma and healing, tension and reconciliation.
THE VIDEO OR WRITTEN PIECE MUST HAVE BEEN PUBLISHED ON A MEDIA PLATFORM OR BY A MEDIA ORGANIZATION BETWEEN 24TH OF FEBRARY 2022 AND 31ST OF OCTOBER 2022.
APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED IN ANY LANGUAGE FROM ANY COUNTRY.
This includes works by freelancers, alternative media, and independent journalism platforms.
SUBMISSIONS THAT WERE THE RESULT OF A COLLABORATIVE EFFORT — EITHER WRITTEN OR VIDEO — SHOULD INCLUDE THE NAMES OF THE CONTRIBUTORS WITH THEIR RESPECTIVE TITLES.
Submissions should then be made under the name(s) of one or two persons who, if the work is selected as a winner, will accept the award.
ALL WRITTEN WORKS MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH AN ENGLISH TRANSLATION, AND ALL VIDEO ENTRIES SHOULD HAVE ENGLISH SUBTITLES.
For more information on English translation, see Technical Requirements.
ALL SUBMITTED WORKS WILL BE JUDGED ON THEIR INFORMATIONAL VALUE, ACCURACY, AND CONTRIBUTION TO THE OVERALL UNDERSTANDING OF THE CONFLICT BEING DISCUSSED.
WINNERS OF THE 2022 KHALED ALKHATEB INTERNATIONAL MEMORIAL AWARDS WILL RECEIVE A MONETARY PRIZE OF 200 THOUSAND RUBLES.
- Videos must be directly uploaded through the application system.
- File size should not exceed 1 GB, even if the video is longer than 15 minutes.
- If the original language is not English, English subtitles should be added to the original video with accurate timing. Any profanity should be starred out/made inaudible.
- In addition to subtitles, a separate document with the video script — in the original language and in translated English — should be submitted in Word format.
- A YouTube link to the video should be provided. If the video has not yet been uploaded to the YouTube platform, please do so before submitting your application.
- When uploading your video to the YouTube platform, please be sure it meets the technical requirements specified HERE: Container Format: MP4, Video Codec: H.264, Audio Codec: AAC, Frames per Second (FPS): 25, 30, Video Resolution: 720p, Video Aspect Ratio: 16:9, Bitrate: 5 Mbps, Stereo Audio Bitrate: 384 kbps, Audio Bitrate (5.1): 512 kbps.
- Written works should be submitted as a Word document.
- If the original is not in English, an additional translated version of the piece should be submitted in Word format.
- Submissions — whether a stand-alone piece or a compilation — cannot exceed 10,000 words.
- If the piece is part of a continuing news story, a compilation of up to five stories can be submitted. To be considered a continuing news story, the series of reports must cover the same topic.
Deadline: October 10, 2022
Call for entries: July 29, 2022
Winners announcement: late November 2022